Friday 29 August 2014

First day of school, Kerry flags and a postbox at Convent Cross

He'll be Fine


Dear Teacher

I know you're rather busy
First day back, there's just no time
A whole new class of little ones
And this one here is mine

I'm sure you have things covered
And have done this lots before
But my boy is very little
He hasn't long turned four

In his uniform this morning
He looked so tall and steady
But now beside your great big school
I’m not quite sure he’s ready

Do you help them eat their lunch?
Are you quick to soothe their fears?
And if he falls and hurts his knee
Will someone dry his tears?

And what if no-one plays with him?
What if someone’s mean?
What if two kids have a fight
And he’s caught in between?

You’re right, I have to leave now
It’s time for him to go
I’m sure he’ll learn so much from you
Things that I don’t know

Yes, I’m sure they settle quickly
That he’s fine now without me
I know he has to go to school
It’s just so fast, you see

It seems like just a blink ago
I first held him in my arms
It’s been my job to love, to teach
To keep him safe from harm

So, when I wave goodbye in a moment
And he turns to walk inside
Forgive me if I crumple
Into tears of loss and pride

I know as I give him one more kiss
And watch him walk away,
That he’ll never again be wholly mine
As he was before today.

Are you crying?
Blame Doreen Buckley who found this poem on the internet for every mammy and daddy who is seeing off a little one to school this week.

<<<<<<


Flags

Everywhere all over town the green and gold is flying before Saturday's replay of the All Ireland Semi final against Mayo.






<<<<<<<<

Down Memory Lane; Postman and Council man



Jerry and Pat on Church St. a few years back.

<<<<<<<

Elizabethan Postbox at Convent Cross




Convent Cross

<<<<<

New kids on the blog



Sean and Killian have made a great start on their blog of life in Basque country HERE



No comments:

Post a Comment