Tuesday 8 December 2020

Galvins, The Square and a Few Writers Week Friends


This lovely display is at Elizabelle, a very stylish shop on Church Street.

<<<<<<<<<<<

Coolahan's Arch, Church Street



<<<<<<<<

Bob's Aunt

Our friend, Bob has written again with a bit more information about his great aunt who lived in Listowel up to the 1980s

My Great Aunt’s name was Kathleen Galvin, 2 The Square, Listowel. The picture I sent is labeled ( Hand written) “Mrs Galvin”.  I honestly didn’t know her last name until I looked in the papers. 
I believe my Uncle said that she had an apartment over the bar. She would have been there through the 80s I believe. 

My Grandmother’s name was Stack. Her father was Robert Stack and had a farm in Skehenerin in the early 1900s. 
I don’t know when that changed hands, I know my Grandmother was there until the 20s. I Also know that it was inherited by a “cousin Ned” but not sure if that was my fathers, or my Grandmothers cousin. 
Also not sure if he retained it or sold it. I do know that one or two of my Cousins and my sister met him when they were young, but that would have been in the 70s or 80s.
There were also some Dillons that we’re cousins, but I’m drawing a blank on that right now.

This picture of a busy fair day in The Square taken from the door of Listowel Arms Hotel is the one his family kept to remind them of their Listowel roots.


No.  2 The Square is now Brendan Mahony's.

No. 2 and 3 were once the Brendan Hotel


<<<<<<<<

Writers Week, Children's Committee 2012


Lisa, Bridget, Maria, Tena and Siobhán were some of my co workers when I rejoined Listowel Writers' Week on The Children's Committee in 2011. Happy days!

<<<<<<<<<

Carmel Guiney to Glin Historical Society


Ford Model T outside Guiney's in Ballybunion

<<<<<<<

Christmas Memories

Marie Shaw has suggested that it would be a good idea if blog followers were to share memories of Christmas. In our Listowel  Connection community we have many people who remember a very different Christmas to what we know today.

We'd love to have our memories jogged with reminders of old days and old ways.  Did you collect holly? Had your house paper chains and garlands for decoration? Do you remember Christmas mottos?  Did the youngest light the real candle? We'd be grateful even for a few sentences and, as always, photographs are more than welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment