Thursday 9 January 2020

Old RTE Guide, Larry Gogan, The Far East and Mike the Pies

Listowel Castle



Winter 2019


<<<<<<<<<

Old RTE Guide



The very first RTE Guide 1962

Back then we had one channel for a few hours every day and when a programme was gone it was gone, no catch up, no recording or player. Programmes were in back and white. We thought we were made up.


Photo from The Journal

Take a quick trip down memory lane with me...Charles Mitchell, Don Cockburn, Wanderly Wagon, The Fugitive, Rawhide, Living with Lucy, The Cosby Family, Quicksilver, continuity announcers, Film board of Canada cartoon fillers, Is dona linn an briseadh seo, Nighthawks, Seven Days etc.etc.etc.



This week we lost Larry Gogan. Larry never appeared much on TV but he was a voice from my childhood.

Recently we've lost Gay Burne, Brendan Grace, Marian Finucane and now Larry. It feels very much like the end of an era.


Marty Whelan, Larry's friend, shared this old photo of 2fm DJs. I recognise Larry, Marty, Philip King (front right ) and Gerry Ryan but I dont recognise the 2 in the cars at the back.


<<<<<<<


Magazines in Schools


My talk of The Imeldist has opened the floodgates of memory for many. While I'm yet to find someone who remembers The Imeldist people tell me that they remember The Far East, The Africa and The Messenger (which I think is still going strong).

Anyone keep any of these?


<<<<<<<<<



Mike the Pies on January 9 2020


I don't think Martin got the opportunity to do any more painting over Christmas but I'll keep you posted if there are any changes.


No comments:

Post a Comment