Thursday 30 January 2020

Sextons, A Minute of Your Time and a Writers' Week memory


Kerry County Library, Listowel Branch


<<<<<<<<<

Changes at Sextons


This well known William Street facade is changing. The overhanging canopy is gone.

<<<<<<<<<

More Photos from St. John's at the launch of A minute of Your Time


A lovely former pupil and now teacher herself, Julieaane Galvin.


Support from the North Cork contingent, Breeda, Margaret and Gael


Kay Landy


Keelin Kissane, former pupil and chair of the Dublin Kerry association


Anne Darby and her nephew, Killian Cogan


Lily Nolan


From Kanturk, a stalwart of Kanturk Arts Festival and friend, Lisa Egan


Lisa Whelan


Liz Dunne


Madeleine O'Sullivan


Máire Logue


Margaret O'Connell


From Galway, my old friend, Margaret O'Sullivan


From Kildare and Castlelyons,  a loyal friend, Margo Spillane


Doreen came from Ballyduff to buy a book for her sister in England


Marie Lucid



Mary Catherine Sheahan


Mary Dillon


Mary Fagan


Mary and Mairead meeting Cora


Another old friend and former colleague, Mary O'Connor


Clíona's Kildare family who now regard Listowel as their second home, Tony and Mary McKenna

<<<<<<<

A Writers' Week Memory

I'm still welcoming memories or photos of Listowel Writers' Weeks past. Here his a lovely memory all the way from sunny South Carolina

I’m Robert Koch, the husband of Maeve Moloney of Skehenerin. We are retired and live in Columbia, South Carolina. I read your Listowel Connection regularly, as does Maeve, and she explains to me all the details about people and places in her beloved Listowel. 

I want to relate to you my fondest recollection of Writers Week. We attended Writers Week events in the 1970s and 1980s during our visits with our two sons to Maeve’s parents from our home in Washington D.C.  My fondest recollection relates to a conversation Maeve and I and the children had with the well-known, now deceased, Offaly-born, professor and literary critic, Vivian Mercier. 

During the 1960s in NewYork I had met and studied under Professor Mercier, but I had not seen him again until his appearance at Writers Week circa 1980. The moderator who introduced him mentioned that Dr. Mercier had retired from his professorial position with the University of California at Santa Barbara and that he and his wife, the well-known Irish novelist and author of children’s books, Eilis Dillon, were living in London and Dublin.

 At the conclusion of his presentation, I reintroduced myself to him and introduced him to Maeve and our sons.  Much to my surprise and pleasure, he actually remembered me! We talked for several minutes about our lives, and he was very much the friendly down-to-earth conversationalist with Maeve and the children. 

I then remarked how the climate in Santa Barbara was so lovely-warm and sunny- that I wondered how he could have possibly abandoned living there. At that point his demeanor changed. He became very professorial, pointing at me with his index finger, and he said what I have never forgotten and have been ever heedful of since: “Yes, but what about the intellectual climate.” “Enough said”, remarked Maeve, and we all smiled, talked for a few minutes more, and then parted.

No comments:

Post a Comment