Tuesday 26 May 2020

Bromore Cliffs, Thomas Moore and Covid Queueing and last Week's just a Thought

     

Listowel Credit Union Building in Church Street in May 2020

<<<<<<<<<<


Good News from Bromore Cliffs


We are open again since Monday 18th of May ! the Seapink and Vetch are in full bloom.  The Bromore Fox had three cubs. The Ravens fledged two chicks and all the other birds and wildlife are busy high and low on the Cliffs



<<<<<<<<<<<<

Róisín Meaney is on Song


Earl Grey in the garden for me,
Or maybe a large g&t;
I won’t let this jazz
Steal my razzmatazz,
To covid I won’t bend the knee

Róisín Meaney


<<<<<<<<<<

Are you Right there, Thomas, are you right?


Boston Pilot (1838-1857), Volume 1, Number 47, 15 December 1838
-------------------
ADDRESS TO THOMAS MOORE. ESQ.
It having become known to the inhabitants of Fermoy that the high-minded and disinterested patriot, Moore, was sojourning at Convamore, the seat of Lord Listowel, a meeting was held in that town on the 22d ult. to frame an address to him on his visit to the land whose wrongs, whose sorrows, and whose sufferings he has immortalised in song. It was intended that the address should be presented by deputation, but the sudden departure of Mr. Moore having prevented the adoption of this course, Counsellor O’Flanagan (author of “ Impressions at 'Home and Abroad,”) who acted as secretary to the meeting, forwarded it to his residence. We insert, with much pleasure the address and answer, confident that every Irishman must feel proud of any tribute paid to the writer of Those songs whose every tone, When bard and minstrel long have past, Shall still in sweetness all their own Embalmed by fame undying last.
(Break)

THOMAS MOORE. Answer.

Bowood, October 5. Dear Sir —Owing to my absence from home, your letter and the flattering address from the inhabitants of Fermoy which it enclosed, did not reach me till this morning, and I lose not a moment in endeavouring to express to you how truly sensible I am of the value of the high compliment thus conferred upon me. I should feel too vain could I, for a moment, persuade myself that my own deserts were in any degree proportionate to the generous estimate set, upon them by my fellow-countrymen. Such tributes, however are not less gratifying for the kind excess of praise over merit in which they indulge ; and, for myself, I can only say that, accustomed as I am to such overflows of heart from my countrymen, I still feel them with all the freshness of my first gratitude and surprise. Wishing every happiness to you and the other unknown but kind friends who have thus honoured me, I am, dear Sir, your
Obliged servant,
To J. R. O’Flanagan, Esq., Fermoy.

<<<<<<

Follow the Yellow Brick Road



We are becoming familiar with yellow markings like these on the pavements. They mark where we are to stand while queueing.

<<<<<<<<<<<<

Leaving Cert 1970; a few more names


By email;  Re the St Michael's photo.. I think Stephen Stack in middle of second row.. And myself John Hynes  second last in middle row.

<<<<<<<

Covid Thoughts

My last week's reflections are at the link below

Just a Thought

No comments:

Post a Comment