Friday 30 March 2018

St. Patrick's Day Parade 2018, 1984 All Stars and Holy Week in St. John's Ballybunion


Listowel Castle in Spring Sunshine


<<<<<<<<<

St. Patrick's Day in Listowel 2018





















<<<<<<<<


Listowel All Stares

Way back in 1984 Listowel Badminton Club organised an all star awards evening for the sports clubs of the town. Here are some of the newspaper cuttings Dave O'Sullivan found when I asked him to see if the papers had anything about this event.








<<<<<<<<

Holy Week

Today is Good Friday, the day on which we, Catholics commemorate the crucifixion of Christ.

This week I visited Ballybunion's beautiful church with my young visitors and I was surprised to see that the old custom of draping the statues in purple is still observed in this magnificent church.







I couldn't remember why the statues were draped so I made enquiries and it is so that all the focus is on the passion as depicted in the Stations of the Cross.

Ballybunion's St. John's is an artistic triumph. It's architecture, its mosaic tilework and its stained glass and statues rival any that you will see in the finest churches in the land.

In Easter 2018 I saw a installation depicting the scene at Calvary on the first Good Friday.



At points around the church aisles are various gorgeous artworks on the Calvary theme.





No comments:

Post a Comment