Tuesday 24 July 2018

Dorans Then and Now, Patrick Keough walks the Kerry Way and a Station Cat





1916 commemorative Garden, July 2018

<<<<<<<<<<<

Crowley's Corner now Doran's Pharmacy


Photo: The John Hannon Archive


<<<<<<<<<


Hiking The Kerry Way


A friend recently sent me a link to this blog post


Read this account of Patrick Keough's walk and you will want to "arise and go there"


Here are just a few snippets.

The Kerry Way Trail takes you over some of Ireland’s highest mountains, majestic coastlines, remote valleys, native forests and breathtaking scenic vistas.


The terrain along the Kerry Way is much more extreme and remote than the Camino to Santiago, however the scenic views are magnificent and awe inspiring. I also got myself lost a few times hiking the mountain ridges in dense fog. It was a frightening experience not being able to find the trail markers then looking at my phone and realizing I had no service. Luckily after about 4 km of searching and some praying I found my way back to the trail. It was an introspective trek, in addition to a great personal challenge.


After a week of hiking over rugged deserted terrain I started thinking what it must have been like for the Irish people 200 years ago. No creature comforts, no cars, phones or electricity. I can’t even imagine how hard life must have been just traveling from town to town by foot or horse cart.


It’s difficult doing justice with words describing the majestic beauty of the Kerry landscape. It’s the same as it was thousands of years ago. Towering rocky hillsides, flowing dark rivers and miles and miles of wet boggy grass and yellow gorse. I feel very blessed and a little overwhelmed hiking in this timeless unspoiled environment. Looking upon my surroundings this morning bathed in crisp dawn light I feel Gods presence in nature.

This is just a small taste of this marvellous blogpost. Here is the link again. Read it all and look at Patrick's marvellous photos. If you don't have the energy to undertake it, this is the next best thing to being there.






All photos and text are copyright  to Patrick Keough

<<<<<<

Summer Visitors



When I called in to Listowel Writers' Week office last week, I found Máire and Eilish entertaining Jim and Liz Dunn and their visiting grandchildren.

<<<<<<<<

This Cat is going nowhere



Member of staff at Tralee railway station

No comments:

Post a Comment