Wednesday 6 November 2019

Poem to an Umbrella Thief, Brothers and Writers at a Book Signing in Mallow

Killarney Stag


The annual rut is coming to an end but Chris Grayson snapped this magnificent fellow earlier this autumn.

<<<<<<<

A Lost or stolen Brolly


I posted this photo last week. It is an umbrella that was left behind in St,. John's at the launch of A Minute of Your Time.
Seeing the photo, my friend Nicholas was reminded of another incident involving an umbrella which prompted him into rhyme.

This is what he wrote:

The lost umbrella mention  sparks memory of an incident in Abbeyfeale on St. Patrick's Day in 2012, as the parade proceeded in heavy rain-showers. A good friend of mine left her umbrella down when the rain cleared, and went to chat with her friends. When the rain re-commenced, she went for her umbrella only to find that it had been stolen! A hearty soaking did not cool her ire. I penned the following ditty to commemorate the event, - there might be a sort of  John B. line there too- but she, of her charity has forgiven the thief, I think... To avoid the  risk of upsetting the fairer gender, I have decided the thief must have been a male, though I am not sure...


ON THE STREET IN ABBEYFEALE

Or, The Theft of a Lady’s Brolly,
Which dastardly crime occurred in Abbeyfeale on a Rainy 
St. Patrick’s Day, 2012)

On the street in Abbeyfeale
Loud and high the bagpipes pealed,
And the banners on the breeze did proudly soar;
As the sun came shining bright,
And the rain-clouds dark took flight,
I left my brolly down, the rain being o’er.

To some folks I went to chat,
And sure where’s the harm in that?
It being Patrick’s Day, my pals were all in town;
As the gossip fast did flow,
Of good news - and tales of woe,
A shower of rain once more came pelting down.

Well, I turned to grab my brolly
But then soon realised my folly,
For light-fingers mean had stolen it away!
I had paid for it good money
And it isn’t one bit funny;
That snaky wretch in hell will surely pay!

May the rain and sleet come down,
With no mercy on his crown,
May the sun ne’er heat his bones for evermore.
May his good luck go astray,
May the rain sweep off his hay,
And may Bank and Bailiff ever haunt his door!
Nicholas. 



<<<<<<<

Brotherly Love

 These two Athea brothers, I'm told, are still working hard.

<<<<<<

Cuteness overload here. The two lovely little boys, pictured below, are twin brothers, Eamon and Brendan ÓMurchú.



This is how they look today, pictured at the launch of A minute of Your Time with their brother, Aidan.


<<<<<<<<<<

A Minute of Your Time

I was in the company of 5 other  writers in Philip's Bookshop in Mallow on November 2 2019.


Here am I standing out in pink with Darina Allen, Clodagh Finn, Philip O'Flynn, Alice Taylor, Kevin Quaid, me and John Spillane who was the singing M.C.

<<<<<<<<

One for the Diary

We are very lucky to be getting this chance to hear this popular motivational speaker and writer in Listowel


No comments:

Post a Comment