Tuesday 23 June 2015

Two Years


Three months after his 65th birthday, Jim Cogan passed away on June 23 2013.
 Photo: Jim with his girls.

(Photo: John Stack)
Jim with his only son, Bobby.


A poem for the day that's in it.


I Have Your Name    by Mary Dorcey

I have your name
And no use for it.
It will never call you home again.

I have all your names still;
Every one of them
On the tip of my tongue
I have to bite my lip
To keep from spilling them.
Useless now-
Nobody comes.
I have your name and no use for it.

I have said it
Times without number,
Without thinking,
Not needing to think.
I have called it through the years
Winter and summer
Early and late.
First thing in the morning
And last thing at night.

………………
I have said it in rapture,
In anger,
In grief.
I have called it across fields
Bellowed into the wind,
Like a farmer calling home the dogs
And had it blown back on my lips
I have murmured it so softly
No one heard but you.

I have your name and no use for it
No matter where
I say it now:
How loudly
Or how often-
It will never

Call you home.


"The day Thou gavest, Lord, has ended,
The darkness falls at Thy behest."

No comments:

Post a Comment